Welcome to #swlancaster’s series all about the people bringing Startup Weekend Lancaster to you in 2014.
I asked our organizers to answer a few questions – partially because I was curious but also because I really want people to get to know the awesome people helping to organize the best 54 hour event in Lancaster, Pa!
First up: Ben Donahower
1. What made you decide to get involved with organizing #swlancaster in 2014?
I was part of the organizing team last year after having attended a couple of Startup Weekends, so I’m pretty well stuck at this point! But seriously, building the local startup ecosystem is a powerful economic driver. I’m excited to be a part of building a better Lancaster County with technology.
2. Why is Lancaster a great place for a #startup to get going?
Too many reasons to count! The big ones are inexpensive talent while having easy access to big tech hubs and because we have a strong startup community locally especially for the size of our community.
3. What makes you interested in startups and what role (if any) do you play at one?
Startups interest me because they solve problems at scale. I’m not associated with a startup (yet).
4. Have you participated in Startup Weekend before? When and where?
Yep, I’ve been to Startup Weekends in Philadelphia, Harrisburg, and Lancaster.
5. If you were any animal, what animal would you be?
I would be a cat. So long as you end up in the right house, you basically own the place.
6. If you were the above animal, what would you like to see come out of Startup Weekend?
More cat mobile games. There are a few out there but there needs to be Fancy Feast® gamification.
7. What are you most looking forward to at #swlancaster 2014?
I love to see the presentations before judges. It’s amazing to see what happens in 54 short hours.
8. What do you do in your every day life?
9. What’s your passion?
Call me crazy, but I think passion is overrated. I like a lot of things, but what really drives me is doing what needs to be done.
10. Free-form – let the participants know anything you’d like for them to know!
My wife and I are expecting our first baby in March! We’re naming her River after a character in the TV series, Firefly.
And there ya have it – the word on our organizer extraordinaire, Ben Donahower! Be sure to come to Startup Weekend Lancaster to create that Fancy Feast® gamification, bring a Firefly mobile for River, and you know just hang out and talk about startups!
Have more questions for Ben? Email the whole team at lancaster (at) startupweekend (dot) org (or you can click the contact button on our home page). He’ll definitely be sure to answer as quickly as possible.